Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Whats a little/lotta dirt

Present from Punkin Head. I love fountain pens.

Well the UAW is not happy about the state of dirt in the assembly plants. To say the least, neither was I.

Cleanliness was not their forte. There were times I hated to touch things. Once I did touch something and my hand came away completely black. No one cleaned what they did not have to and then not really thoroughly.

Once I was sitting in the cafeteria and I asked someone who washed the windows, they answer was a question back at me: Inside or Outside? The filthy inside windows were washed by the plant local, the outside was contracted to window washers. Same with the grass and trash, inside the fence or out. I remember the one hallway to downstairs by body shop, it smelled sour and disgusting because they never changed the water in the mop bucket nor did they clean the mop. I had housekeeping volunteering to--at this time contracted out-- show me pictures of how the workers left the restrooms, unbelievable and shocking even to me.

Once there was a major effort to clean up and maintain the office area and they had folks adopt areas. I went to the ladies and on the back of the door was a note taped up that said "if you sprinkle when you tinkle be a sweetie and wipe the seatie. I could not get past the start, this was in a professional environment.

So the fact that there was always a shortage of soap, hot water and working water should not be a surprise. In some plants people brought in soap from the dollar stores. And left notes begging people not to steal it.  It was reported yesterday some people walked off the job due to the water soap situation. After an intense negotiation management agreed to clean up the plants.

Really? It takes Covid-19 to get soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment